Friday, May 13, 2011

Love Is Not Irritable


Over the last few years my irritable gage has been pretty much maxed out. I don't mean to be, and I don't like myself when I'm that way. The book attributes irritability to two things, stress and selfishness. I love this book, and even this devotional has a ton of other things I will quote and completely agree with, however, I want to disagree on this one point.
To me, irritability is attributed to the lack of sleep and the lack of time. When I'm exhausted, and in a rush I'm easily annoyed and have trouble exercising emotional self-control. I have a four year old who is extremely independent (as a result he wont let me do anything to help him out, to speed us up, to get out the door faster) and an 18 month old who is 100% momma's (as a result he wont let me put him down, to shower in peace, to get dressed in private, to make dinner). Momma is always tired and always behind.
The truth is, love does not get angry or hurt unless there is a legitimate and just reason in the sight of God. (The Love Dare, page 26)
I'll pause for a moment while you digest that and analyze your heart. If you are anything like me that line alone is pretty convicting. I often get annoyed about all kinds of illegitimate things. I let anger stir in my heart and end up ruling me for anywhere from 15 minutes to 2 or 3 hours at a time. Why? What a waste.
He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit, than he who captures a city. --Proverbs 16:32 
 A bitter person's unresolved anger leaks out when he is provoked --Ephesians 4:31
A couple of good memory verses for our bathroom mirror! One last note from the book today, two thoughts that really caught my attention, then onto today's dare.

A loving wife chooses to be a flower among the thorns and respond pleasantly during prickly situations. If you are walking under the influence of love, you will be a joy, not a jerk. Ask yourself, "am I a calming breeze, or a storm waiting to happen?"  (The Love Dare, page 26)

CHOOSE TODAY TO REACT TO TOUGH CIRCUMSTANCES IN YOUR MARRIAGE IN LOVING WAYS INSTEAD OF WITH IRRITATION. BEGIN BY MAKING A LIST BELOW OF AREAS WHERE YOU NEED TO ADD MARGIN TO YOUR SCHEDULE. THEN LIST ANY WRONG MOTIVATIONS THAT YOU NEED TO RELEASE FROM YOUR LIFE.



Even if you haven't participated in any of the other dares, or if you cannot commit to doing each dare we want you to feel welcome to join in. Everyone is welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments and love!