Saturday, April 2, 2011

Peculiar Prayer Phenomenon

(I know yesterday was Fiction Friday, and that I skipped last week too. Sorry guys! I had a meeting last night and just didn't get to it. I'm going to try and work on it some more this weekend. So STAY TUNED>>>>And harass me if necessary ;) )

Have you ever been in the middle of a conversation with a friend, in the middle of a crowd of people, or walking through a grocery store and all of a sudden caught yourself in the midst of a prayer? A random and often times peculiar prayer for someone. If your a praying woman (or man) then I imagine you have.

Now, I'm not talking about all of a sudden feeling the desire to praise the Lord for that person and their impact in your life, or a general prayer for their safety and health. I'm talking about those prayers that are more specific and specifically catch you off guard.



Once I was in the grocery store, behind an older lady in line, and I found myself praying that she didn't get into a car accident on the way home. What in the world? Why am I praying this? Oh well, Lord I guess we'll go with it... and then the prayer continued.

I'll often pray for obviously pregnant women, after suffering a miscarriage myself, I have a special place in my heart for unborn babies and have a bit of an obsession with praying for them to be born healthy and full term. Occasionally I'll find myself praying for a woman who isn't obviously pregnant, praying perhaps that her pregnancy is healthy, that she wont have trouble getting pregnant when the time arises, or that the Lord will comfort her in a loss. What in the world? Why am I praying this? Oh well, Lord I guess we'll go with it... and then the prayer continued.

A few weeks back I began randomly praying for a healthy and strong marriage for a couple we know. Every time I saw one of them (particularly the husband) I subconsciously began praying that they would remain faithful to each other and their marriage would be renewed and refreshed. There was absolutely no outlying reason for these prayers and once I realized what I was doing I'd pause for a second and think what in the world? Why am I praying this? Oh well, Lord I guess we'll go with it... and then the prayer continued. My best guess is that it had something to do with reading about this in the book of Proverbs during my devotion time but I have no idea why this particular couple came to mind. These prayers have since subsided for which I praise the Lord.

Last night I was at a work meeting, which is really much more like a worship service, when this Peculiar Prayer phenomenon happened again. During a worship song I was admiring the beautiful voice of the woman singing. She didn't have societies "ideal" body type but I felt as though I was looking at her through eyes of the Lord and I saw so much beauty. She had eyes that sparkled as she sang and a wonderful smile. Then all of a sudden I realized I was praying for her breasts. What in the world? I know that sounds bad, but I was. Not like you're probably thinking, it wasn't a perverse prayer. I was praying that she wouldn't get breast cancer. Why am I praying this? Oh well, Lord I guess we'll go with it... and then the prayer continued

Sometimes I wonder why I humor these prayers. Then I remember a time someone had this peculiar prayer phenomenon happen to them and I was the subject of those prayers. Several years ago when my husband and I were engaged my mother who suffers from several health problems had a deep vein thrombosis (a blood clot) that went from her pinky toe all the way up to her belly button. This caused her to be hospitalized and in critical condition for several days. I had a deep personal struggle with this because I wasn't there, I couldn't help or be by her side as I was living and working 2.5 hours away from home.

One night at church an older woman, a dear believer in Christ whom I didn't know extremely well but I could identify her voice and hugs while blindfolded, came up to me and asked how my mother was doing. Then she said "I have to tell you the strangest thing happened the other night, I woke up suddenly in middle of the night and had a sudden and intense urge to pray for you. I had no idea why but I prayed for you dear, I prayed until I fell back asleep. Then the next morning when I woke up I got the prayer request about your mother in my email."  I can still remember the tears that formed in my eyes and to this day I get goose bumps when I think about it.

What a beautiful way for the Lord to show me that His love for me is real, alive, and active. I've said it before, but I love praying for people. I love it when the Lord allows me to be a part of some one else's miracles through the gift of answered prayers.

I can't guarantee that every prayer I utter is in fact a movement from the Spirit but I can guarantee that they are heard, and a few extra prayers certainly can't hurt anything. Are you open to the prayers the Holy Spirit stir within you? When your awoken in the night do you wonder what you are supposed to be praying about like my dear friend and sister in Christ did so many years ago?

I'd love to hear your stories of when the Peculiar Prayer Phenomenon happened to you, or when you were the subject?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments and love!