Tuesday, November 1, 2011

A Season of Thanksgiving


I love Thanksgiving, it is perhaps my favorite Holiday of this season. Don't get me wrong, I love the hustle and bustle of Christmas, the running around, focusing on other people, gift giving, and decorating that surrounds the celebration of our Saviors birth, but there is a time for Christmas, and that time isn't until December. November is about Thanksgiving. 

I've begun to realize that Thanksgiving isn't just "Turkey Day" It's an entire month, a season, where life slows down a little if we choose to accept it. The weather gets a few degrees colder, the trees lose the rest of their leaves, the cars take more time to warm up, food takes longer to cook.  Friday nights are colder and darker earlier so movies and popcorn feel in order, Saturday mornings stay darker longer so the kids sleep just a few minutes later, Sunday afternoons are for naps and football. 

In addition to this natural slowing down of life, it is a great time and opportunity to take notice of those things most dear to us. Thanksgiving is unique in that it's a holiday everyone in America celebrates, and yet it's about giving Thanks. What an amazing opportunity for us, as Christians, to let our light shine and lift up our praises to the King for all of our many blessings. I hope you will rejoice with me this month as I reflect on all the Lord has done for us, devoting this space to praising the Lord for those blessings. 


Lord, 
I praise you today 
for this amazing smile, 
for the child that lights up our home
 with a love that is uniquely his. 

Thank you for the laughter 
that flows so freely from him 
and brings smiles and joy 
to everyone he meets. 

I praise you and thank you 
for my dear Micah John.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments and love!