Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Sappy Sappy Joy Joy: A summer of weddings recap

Weddings used to hold a great magic. Now that I'm married, I don't feel that "Cinderella" feeling at them anymore, like the magic hit it's peak at my own wedding and has faded out from there. That said, weddings didn't cease affecting me, only now they make me nostalgic, sentimental, and turn me into a giant sap.  After several nights lying in bed begging him to reminisce with me and think longingly about our still future, my husband might argue that that's worse than the dreamy Cinderella magic of weddings past!



We have attended three weddings this summer, and I love how each wedding is unique, different, and special. Separating it from the last or the next, and carrying a special nugget for each guest that represents the bride and grooms unique personality and style of love.

____________

Our first wedding was in Atlanta, Georgia. I loved so much about Nicole's beautiful day, her dress, her venue, the CANDY bar, the photo-booth guest book, the Beatles songs, and so much more. She had a very elegant reception with a quiet understated beauty to it. The pictures of her wedding were taken by Andrew Thomas Lee Photography.



 
These are just my favorites from the blog preview their photographers recently posted, if you know Nicole or you just love looking at wedding pictures go to the Andrew Thomas Lee Photography blog.

I'm so glad we were able to go, that I could see Nicole on the most beautiful day of her life and share in a memory that will last a lifetime. Nicole is one of two friends from high school I still talk to semi regularly and she moved after freshman year. It is my hope and dream that we will remain friends through each new chapter of our lives. I love you Nicole Ma and am so blessed to have you in my life. Congratulations!

____________

Next up, we had my lovely sister in laws wedding at Kalahari in Sandusky, OH. I hadn't realized they had weddings there and was pleasantly surprised by the location. They had plenty of conference rooms, several reception halls, and an outdoor venue surrounded by flowers with the pleasant sounds of summer carried by a gentle breeze. Their wedding highlighted the brides love for anything pink, and the bride & grooms history together. Their son Cayden was the most handsome ring bearer, and their reception was both joyous and fun. The whole thing was fun, did I mention that? 

I'm so excited for the two of them, and though we are blessed to live close we still don't get to see them enough. I have a special place in my heart for dear Cayden and love flirting with him every chance I get. The wedding was no exception.

Their fabulous photos were taken by her mother (my in law) aunt, and cousin!


It was exciting to be a part of this special day for them, I can't wait to see what their future holds, and it was exciting to make my first ever bridesmaids bouquets! I pray often for your family Erin and cannot wait to see what the Lord has planned for your future together. I was told not to ask for another nephew or niece until after your wedding....Hint hint! Just kidding, just kidding. Randi's little girl will hold me at bay at least for 6 months or so ;)

____________

Last but certainly not least our family headed out to Marion, Indiana for the holy matrimony of my "cousin" Alli and her fiance Jordan. Her vintage style showed through in every detail of her wedding, from her gown, to the pew flowers, guest "book", and everything in between. She looked fabulous, and was filled with a joy and peace that was not hers alone. I had a baby in my arms and had to walk around the church to keep him quiet so I was a little distracted throughout the ceremony but loved every minute of it. They used Romans 12:1-2 as well as a few verses later in the chapter, but I've never heard those verses used at a wedding before. These are two of my favorite verses, and it struck me how perfect they are for a wedding.

"Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God -- This is your spiritual act of worship. Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is -- his good, acceptable, and perfect will." - Romans 12:1-2
Isn't that beautiful, when put into the context of a marriage? I reference these verses a lot for self evaluation and seeking the Lord's purpose for me, but never had I thought about them as  verses for marriage, but what depth and truth there is that can be applied to each of our relationships.

Here are a few pictures of her special day, and personal touches that really made her reception shine. From what I gather these pictures, while taken by a professional photographer, are not her actual photographers pictures, but those of her friend. They are amazing, and please feel free to go to his site and check out more of his great work at george.flattery.photography or 'like' him on facebook to see more of Alli's wedding pictures.

  
 
I've known Alli all of her life, I haven't seen her much in the last several years, but through facebook and her blog I've been able to keep in touch with her, and watch as she has grown into a beautiful woman of Christ. I am so excited for you Alli as you transition into this new stage of life as a young wife, I pray your marriage will be blessed with a love that grows ever stronger between the two of you and your Lord.


____________

Now for a beautiful music video about marriage, commitment, and faith. This video was used as an illustration by the pastor at Alli's wedding and both Brian and I really loved it. 
What have your summer weddings been like? 
I'd love to hear about unique touches that really touched your hearts this joyous wedding season!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I have always loved weddings and you are so right, they are all unique and special in their own way. Loved this post and am glad I had time to stop by this afternoon.

    Thanks for your sweet words regarding my Dad's health. We are so hopeful that he will be able to recover to lead an independent life and return to his home. It has been such a journey and I simply could not have made it without the Lord sustaining power.

    Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for this beautiful post, and for sharing your thoughts on my wedding. It was so encouraging to hear! I am glad you liked the verse in our ceremony, I thought it fit very well in the context of marriage too! I am happy you could make it to the wedding. I love you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments and love!