Wednesday, January 23, 2013

The Pin So Stupid I HAD To Try It

Not everything on the internet is true. It's like a mantra that I seem to say to a lot of people. Specifically related to Facebook, there are so many odd jokes people post or statuses that make you say "huh?" but then I remember, not everything on the internet is true. I forgive people for their stupidity, take it with a grain of salt, and move on.

But Pinterest? That's a different story. It's not to say that I believe EVERYTHING I read on Pinterest, or that every trick of the trade will work for me, but generally I expect that the things pinned have been tried by someone who deemed them pinterest worthy. I automatically assume, someone, somewhere has tried this, and found some truth to it. Pinterest hasn't turned me into a complete idiot, or so I thought, but generally speaking I tend to be more understanding and accepting of statement as fact.

Then, I saw this pin.


To straighten hair without heat,
 just mix a cup of water with 2 tablespoons of BROWN sugar, 
pour it into a spray bottle, then spray into damp hair and let air dry!








I KNEW IT WAS STUPID.
I scoffed.
I shook my head, in disgrace.
Who would believe such a stupid thing?

I didn't open it. I didn't pin it. I didn't give it another thought. Or, I wish I hadn't given it another thought. The truth of the matter is, the concept was so off the wall, I kept coming back to it. Maybe just maybe, someone really did have success with this? There have been other pins that seemed outrageous but in fact have brought a lot of success to people or made their lives easier in some way shape or form. Perhaps? Maybe?

These thoughts continued on for about 4 days. Then, one evening after getting my kids home/off the bus I had about an hour to shower and get ready for a work meeting 45 minutes away from home. I thought, well, maybe I'll try this trick so that I can have a little time to spend with my kids instead of slaving away with the blow dryer and flat iron for the entire hour.

So, I succumbed people. I tried the pin that was so stupid I scoffed at the person who created it.

What was the worst that could happen? I figured, the worst case scenario was that my hair wouldn't dry straight, it would be frizzy or wavy and it I'd throw it up in a pony tail or a bun.

WRONG.

I wish I'd taken pictures of the progress, but as I mentioned, I'd gone to a meeting for work.

At first, after mixing not two but maybe 1 tablespoon of brown sugar in a bottle with well over a cup of water and spraying it on my hair, my hair did appear to be smother. I combed it and it remained perfectly combed and straight for a long period of time. As I watched tv with the kids and played imaginary games with Micah John I kept checking my hair, it was starting to dry. It wasn't great, but it wasn't horrible.

Then, just before leaving the house I noticed something.

Something I should have realized would happen.

Why should I have realized there would be terrible consequences? Because it's common sense.
Sugar is sticky.

And so was my hair. The back underneath portion that is always kind of dry and impossible to work with was now, sticky, straw like, and even more impossible to work with. I quickly threw my hair into a low pony which I flipped and tucked effectively hiding my hair in a low bun like mess for my meeting.

By the time I got home, my hair was a birds nest. It was not straight. It was not soft or silky like the picture implied. It wasn't even hair. It was like straw.

It made me think of the girls in college who had bleached their hair blond so many times that it didn't even resemble hair anymore. Hair after hundreds of harsh chemicals had stripped it raw.

That was me. After putting a tiny bit of brown sugar in a large spray bottle of water and spritzing less than an ounce of said concoction on my hair.

Apparently, I'm not the only one who was hoodwinked by this woman's silky shiny hair, because when I did a search today for the original pin I found this:



Yup, that about sums it up. Though, I would add straw, and birds nest, to the descriptive words.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I think I'm going to go surf around PinTriedit.com to see what other catastrophes I can avoid!

Have you tried a pin, simply because you HAD to know if it would work? Did it? or was it a total fail?

I'd love to hear the good the bad, and the sticky :)

Until Friday my friends!

Teresa

Oh, I almost forgot, this is a good time to share belly pics so here you go, 24+ weeks :) Sorry about the awkward camera-phone-in-mirror photo.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments and love!