Thursday, May 31, 2012

A Prayer Within a Prayer

That is how the commentary in my NIV described these next two verses, as a prayer within a prayer. A prayer to seek the Lords will, to stand upright, and give wholeheartedly. Followed ever so sweetly with a promise that should be an honor to keep. Daily. All tucked neatly inside the larger prayer of the Psalm as a whole. O how beautiful that is.

"Teach me your way, O Lord, and I will walk in your truth; give me an undivided heart, that I may fear your name. I will praise you, O Lord my God, with all my heart; I will glorify your name forever." ~~Psalm 86:11-12
Beautiful, timely prose, reminding me of my purpose. My purpose during the midst of a trial, but also my purpose now, during this calm season of blessings.

Recently I realized, with the help of a dear friend, that this season needs to not only be cherished but used as a time of growth. Not the intense dependent growth that occurs during a trial, but steady growth from personal discipline, daily worship and prayer. When our lives slow down, it can be too easy to become stagnant, drifting lazily from one day to the next. And I will walk in your truth. Enjoying the blessings we have been given, more than the One who has given them. Give me an undivided heart.

I know that the Lord has used me mightily through our trials, and I so love being used. The boldness, the constant spirit of praise, peace and power that surrounds us when we are running with the Lord through the tidal waves of a major trial is unreal. I long, at times, for that again, barreling forward in the waves faithfully telling anyone and everyone with ears how amazing our Lord is.

What my friend helped me to realize is that this season, calmness, is special too. A time for the Lord to nurture, grow, and refine us slowly, inwardly. For me, that growth is in the area of self discipline, reading, seeking and being undivided. Now that I've discovered His purpose in this time of stillness, my life, days, and moments again are filled with intention. With all my heart; I will glorify your name forever.

As every beach goer knows, there is a time for splashing in the waves, but there is also a time for taking your companion by the hand and walking the beach, finding sea shells, sharing stories, and learning everything there is to know about one another.


A season like that, is one I don't ever want to end. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments and love!