Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Christmas HodgePodge



Linking up today with From This Side of the Pond for HodgePodge Wednesday. I peruse them occasionally and think they are fun, but never manage to follow through with writing one of my own. I thought this would be a fun way to share some quick facts and quips about myself and our upcoming Christmas.

1. Are you cooking Christmas dinner? How many will be round your table this year? What are we having?

Yes. Brian and I are butting heads a little though, because I grew up with Christmas Dinner being on Christmas Eve and Christmas day was for a fancy breakfast and then we traveled. He keeps telling me I'm making a turkey and I'm doing it on Christmas, but this just feels unnatural to me! I'm already a little like a fish out of water as at 31 this will be my first ever Christmas day (and my 3rd ever Christmas morning/Christmas Eve) where I'm not with my parents.

We aren't going to my folks because we have the privileged and honor of having my mother in law and brother in law coming to spend Christmas with us in our new house! So our table will be 4 adults and my 2 rug rats!

2. What is one must-have Christmas cookie in your house?

No bake and Chocolate Chip. Oh, and I'll have to make some Forgotten Cookies too, because they remind me of my Grandpa Egan. Not necessarily that they are Christmas cookies but because I so rarely make cookies, Christmas is a good excuse.

Oh and those green Christmas wreath treats mmmmm :)






3. Santa likes a glass of milk with his cookies-do you? What kind of milk is on tap at your house-skim, almond, soy, full fat (Gasp!)

I never cared much. In fact in highschool our library youth leader got us all eating Oreo's with Mountain Dew, but when I was pregnant with Owen I started liking milk with my Oreo's and now I like it with all cookies, it's the only milk I really drink. True story. We keep skim in the house for my husband and children.

4. Time magazine recently named its Person of the Year for 2011. This is the person the editors believe has had the greatest impact, for better or worse, in the past year. This year they chose 'The Protester'. Your thoughts? Who would you name person of the year for 2011?

I don't even know who "The Protester" is, I suppose I could click the link above and find out, but why bother? I'm sure I wont agree.

I'm going to steal CiCi's answer on this one because it's dead on. Tim Tebow. It's encouraging and inspiring to see a public figure wear his faith on his sleeve. It's amazing that every interview he gives he talks about how football is a platform for him to be able to better serve his Lord, to increase his charity and bring light to the mission work his parents did/do. Do I believe he wins football games because he prays? Um, it's probably a lot more complicated than that, he's not the only player who believes in the Lord, but I do believe the Lord is using him, and his fame because Tebow is willing to be used.




And I may or may not be trying to convince my children they are Tebow fans.

There is a website called Tebowing where people post pictures of themselves mimicking Tebow's prayer pose, sure some of it is hype, but I believe at least some of those people are truly praying in their pictures.





Love this one! Love love love love love. So funny. So true.

And I may or may not be slightly tempted to spend the insane amount of money to buy a Tebowing Fat Head sticker for our basement.



The Tebow Train has also gotten me to watch football, read articles on ESPN and watch recaps and other video clips. If you know me then you might agree that, it might not be a far cry to say that if Tebow has gotten me to watch enjoy football maybe he's persuaded a few non-believers to Christ. Just saying.

5. December 21st is National Flashlight Day...when was the last time you needed a flashlight? Did you know right where to find one?

Seriously? We just talked about this last week, we do not currently have one. Eeek.

6. candy canes...yum or yuck?

Flavored candy canes, yum. I used to love peppermint ones, but when I was pregnant with Owen peppermint made me sneeze, a lot, so now I only can stand it in moderation. I do however love those chewy candy cane candy's each Christmas.



Hmm, Owen seems to have made a significant, long term impact on my taste buds and preferences, huh.

7. What Christmas carol lyric means the most to you?



Source: dearlillieblog.blogspot.com via Dawn on Pinterest


When I hear this song, my mind slows down, and my spirit breaths and awakens deep within my heart. It brings me complete peace, joy, and contentment.

8. Insert your own random thought here.

What a unique Christmas we are having. Last night we hosted Brian's immediate family (dad's side) and on Christmas we'll have his moms side, then just before new years we will host my family. Three Christmas celebrations, in our new home.

What a blessing it was last night to be gathered in our own living room, watching the cousins play together, and enjoy their presents. I'm afraid people might have thought I was mad because I was so quiet, but I was just taking it all in, enjoying every second of their company, of this new home that we enjoy showing off and spending time in. We get to do it two more times with the rest of our families, our loved ones. Celebrating our saviors birth by giving to others, not just gifts, but the gift of entertaining them.

There may be a few spare posts in the next few weeks, but I don't have anything specific planned, (not that I ever do, I sort of just blog by the seat of my pants, but for this space, that works) so in case we don't meet again, I hope and pray you have a blessed and safe Christmas and bright New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments and love!